Friday, January 11, 2019

Thoughts, Empties and (no Inventory) of 2018


Thoughts of 2018


In February 2018, I noticed that my skin was maybe one shade lighter than in April/May 2017 when I compared pictures. That was the time I started religiously wearing sunscreen. Not that surprising as during winter I rarely see sun and I usually do lose some of my tan, but the older I get, the less noticeable the skin color change is between summer and winter. However, this makes the acne scars and other imperfections stand out more.

In Feb I finally gave in and ordered a silk pillow case I'd been wanting but being put off because of the price but honestly didn't notice much difference to cotton pillowcases. However the silk feels luxurious so no regrets! But I guess the point is to prevent wrinkling in a long term process with the silk as it's not so harsh on the skin. Maybe I'll buy more silk stuff when I get more concerned.

* In Feb I also bought omega-3/D-vitamin pills. I've never been a huge believer in supplements. I have been taking multivitamin tablets on and off for a while. Can't say I've ever noticed that they would do anything.

* Because my skin condition has been so much better 2018 compared to before, it's easier to tell if something breaks me out or makes other changes. Before it was all question marks. I can look for the differences better as well.

* Documenting my skin! Pictures weekly of my face in very angle. I have gotten over the fear/disgust of taking ugly photos of myself. Also, following my cycle, making notes on my calendar. It really makes a difference because you know when to try new things and what to expect.

* I'm not so worried anymore if I use some products in a right way or in a right order. I read an article about some test where it actually did not matter much how you layered moisturizing products (occlusives are a different thing of course). And I buffer my acids if I want to. My goal is not to maximize their strenght or anything. I just experiment.

* The world is so, so full of different products. You really have to limit yourself. You will not have time or money to test everything, no matter how exciting things sound. When you start a skincare journey, it's difficult to buy anything: after a year, you feel like you could try almost anything. You want to be in for the new releases etc.

But, at the same time when you want to try everything, you are also bored! And end up buying the same kind of things because they include the same ingredients that have proved themselves useful. Also I've kept repurchasing the same trusted products over and over and not using others, already opened, because I've been stressed and busy and didn't want surprises with skin.

Recently I have felt that less is more, tried to konmari my home and life... tried to understand, what is really important for me. I guess, I have accepted myself as I am and my skin is so good at the moment (not perfect!) that I do not worry about it!

I believe losing a lot of weight this year (14 kg/ 30 lbs) and being more active in general has helped my skin the most. Before I wasn't a believer that diet, hormones, etc can affect skin so much. Well, I have changed my mind. Maybe the mumbo jumbo about inflamed body is true. However, you don't have to believe it and maybe it doesn't affect you. But you could try? For one year, eat super healthy, lots of vegetables, protein, drink enough water, no alcohol, also exercise 1-5 hrs a day, be outside as much as possible (I was around 8-10 hrs because of my job) and lose weight if you have some excess/build muscle as much as possible. For me, my skin seemed to follow. Sweating wasn't problematic at all, meaning some people are afraid of sweat clogging their pores. After a couple of months, my skin followed suit my lifestyle choices... P.S. I didn't even cut off dairy as many suggest. But I only put milk to coffee and eat cheese/yoghurt every couple of weeks so...

About the products I've used this year - actually I see now, I've been definitely using too little sunscreen. Considering I was out all day during the summer, too. Also very little conditioner for hair, also very little make up... I have a lot of half-empty items though. Surprisingly few face creams too! Probably been using less of them after starting to slather oils. Also, I didn't finish any hand/body moisturizers... I can't believe that! They're just scattered around the house and I never use the same one. Probably all expired too.

*  On average, I spent maybe about 350 € on everything I used this year. It's about 30 € a month so not too bad at all! But it's only based on what I used and finished, not what I actually shopped. However it shows that one person just simply can't use more, so why buy more? The more I have stuff, the less I use???

* Also, haven't had time for samples...




Thoughts about my blog


* Can't believe my blog actually has visitors, every day! Hopefully you don't take my posts too seriously. Everyone's skin and needs are different and I'm inexperienced, just making notes for myself (and hoping that other people might benefit too because of a public blog platform). I'm so behind posting photos of products, sadly!

Sunscreen posts have been very popular! Maybe other people struggle as much as I do finding something reasonable. Still haven't found a "perfect" sunscreen. I still do like Tosowoong's Soft Touch and Clio's Kill Protection.


TOP 5 most popular skincare notebook posts of 2018








Products that I've finished 2018

How many products I used to the end (so not counting the ones that didn't work for me and I had to give away or samples):


Skincare 

Cleansing Oils 2

Cleansers 6

Creams/Lotions/Emulsions 6

Sleeping Masks 0

Oils 5

Eye creams 0

Toners 0

Essences 1

Serums 7

Sunscreens 3

Antioxidants / Vitamin C 0

Exfoliants 0

Chemical exfoliants 0

Masks 0

Treatments (sheetmasks etc) 
Tosowoong sheetmasks, a few?


Mists 0

Others 0

Samples 0

Body Wash 4

Body / Hand creams 0


Makeup

Primer 0

Foundation 1

Powder 1

Eyeshadow 0

Mascara 1
* Essence All Eyes On Me Waterproof Mascara 1

Eyeliner 0

Lipstick/lipgloss 0

Highlighter 0

Brows 0



Hair

Shampoos 8
* L'oreal Elvive Triple Resist Reinforcing Shampoo 1
* L'Oreal Elvital Phytoclear Anti-Dandruff Regulating Shampoo 4
L'oreal Elvital Anti-Breakage Repairing Shampoo 2
* L'Oreal Elvital Extraordinary Clay Shampoo 1

Conditioners 2

Others 0


Thoughts of Next Year 2019?


Oh god. Just keep doing whatever you're doing right now. Next year is going to be hectic, I'm glad if I just have energy to wash my face! No experiments.

My "use more make up" promises and excitement die after a couple of months so no promises or hopes for that. Maybe it's a good thing - I have accepted my own face and myself! I did get bronzer as a christmas gift and that I am going to use definitely to balance the sunscreen dead face...

I wish to buy as few new things as possible. I still have old stash. Except oils! I always have to get more facial oil (rosehip especially) when the old bottle ends. Those I don't want to hoard/didn't hoard earlier because oils can expire quickly.

I will try to keep exercising, lose the famous last 5 kgs, eat healthy, hope my skin becomes low maintenance next year! Probably going to cut my hair shorter again so that I don't have to do anything to it either. Now it's again at a length where I have to comb it and put conditioner...

Maybe 2020 will be the year I reconnect with selfcare (as in, skin and hair and makeup) but considering my situation in life, probably 2021 is more likely!

No comments:

Post a Comment