Monday, November 20, 2017

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 30 ml Review





Ingredients:


Rosa Canina Seed Oil.

I try to mark the sunscreen ingredients in red and other possible irritants in lilac. Ingredients thought to be good and useful for skin I mark green.  Learning as I go, google is my friend etc...





Thoughts:


I did get a couple of whiteheads after some days of using the rose hip oil but they disappeared in two days (connected or not?)

I think I'm developing tiny, the tiniest blackheads on my cheeks and chin? But it makes those pores look smaller than what they used to be, hmm

My skin is a bit more sensitive to picking (I KNOW I'm not supposed to pick on my skin but... sometimes life is hard) and even trying to gently squeeze a small whitehead makes the spot/skin around is red and swollen for quite a while compared to before. Then again it has put me off picking the small things because the immediate consequence is so long and punishing

- The application can be a bit messy because the oil is rather liquid and is packaged in a dropper bottle

- I read that rose hip seed oil is not very stable and can go rancid quickly?



Organic

Smells like dry hay and barn... brings back childhood memories of the countryside, very nostalgic! Also the smell disappears quickly. Can't believe some people think it stinks, to me this smell is summer and freedom.

Dries/absorbs faster than The Ordinary's Squalane, in a couple of minutes

Didn't think my skin could be any softer/clearer after adding squalane, but when mixing the oils and putting a couple of drops squalane and a couple rose hip, I can still see/feel difference to better! Quite honestly I'm doubting my own senses, maybe I'm just imagining?

The bottle lasts for a while, because a little goes a long way (if you don't slather it on like I do)

Even if I apply too much rose hip oil, it still absorbs (= 8 drops about. Hey I have to test these things because I'm curious! My skin could probably absorb even more but would it be beneficial?) EDIT in Jan-Feb 2018: Now that I'm half through my second rose hip oil bottle, I start to notice that I need less drops. 8 was a "standard" that I used both AM and PM, and everything absorbed (how crazy is that) but now I'm fine with 4 drops. I think my skin is getting better! It's not only thanks to rose hip oil, but I think overall my routine works.

Pores look smaller and scars are fading surprisingly fast BUT they did start fading after adding squalane anyway (and LJH TTO90 Essence once in a while but idk if it matters because I tested it briefly before too and didn't notice anything) and simplifying my routine down but the significant difference was after squalane and now even more after rosehip

+ Gives that "inner glow" for skin after a while (1-2 weeks?) as opposed to squalane that gives the "immediate glow" that is more on top of the skin

+ Moisturizing/Hydrating, more than squalane



* I still can't believe how much I like oils, they just feel so luxurious to me and I'm hooked! I just read about them and different oils have different qualities and almost anything can be made into oil... like cucumber oil, anyone?? Definitely keeping my eyes open and buying decently priced ones everytime I bump into them!

The rose hip seed oil is yellow and very liquidy, but not quite so liquid as squalane. Or at least it wasn't as messy to apply with the dropper. The yellow color disappears soon when you put it on the skin.

Even though squalane and rosehip oil are both considered dry oils, I still think rosehip is truly dry compared to squalane and I would recommend it if you dislike how oils usually feel

Rosehip oil contains more linoleic acid than oleic acid. I read somewhere that acne prone skins usually lack linoleic acid and adding it might help because when skin is in balance it's not so sensitive to breakouts. Might be true, at least my skin looks more clear. But my skin could also have been partly just dehydrated or lacking oil in general because already adding squalane helped a lot!

I don't know what I would do if I had to choose only squalane or rose hip oil, I think they both are beneficial to me at the moment! I will update if the situation changes.

* My review: The Ordinary Squalane.






Price: 

9.80 € / 30 ml

Bought from: 

The Ordinary website

Buy again? 

More yes than maybe! EDIT: I have repurchased, and going to purchase again, I'm completely in love.

Worth the money? 

Yes. It seems oils are the acne and softness medicine to me during the winter and after being so hard and experimental with my skin all year. If the good results continue, I think both oils I've tried are dirt cheap compared to how much they help.

1 comment: