Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 30 ml Review




Ingredients:


Squalane.

I try to mark the sunscreen ingredients in red and other possible irritants in lilac. Ingredients thought to be good and useful for skin I mark green.  Learning as I go, google is my friend etc...






Thoughts:


The oil does sit on my face, especially if I put too much, it doesn't really absorb and isn't a "dry" oil

Yeah, the dropper bottle is annoying with a watery product like this, the dropper drips stuff all over if I'm not careful and even if I am!

I kind of have to put some cream on top to balance the oiliness, is it good or bad? When I put the cream I can still a bit feel/see the oil through but I think it's because I do put about 3 drops



First time I put the oil on my whole face after patch testing for couple of days on my cheek, I put 4 drops (it felt like a lot...) and it took a couple of seconds and it had disappeared! I decided to put more just because, so a couple of drops more and my skin feels so, so soft and nice! But the same absorption miracle hasn't happened again and now I put about 3 drops

I'm not sure if this oil helped my hormonal acne or not but I did not get my usual spots when I started using this for a week before and during period

My skin looks more radiant, what is this sorcery, is it just because it leaves some hmm, shine? My face doesn't look oily, just more shiny but not in the "I sweat buckets" way but my perception could be skewed because I don't have oily skin anymore, it disappeared couple of years back so maybe I just feel different?

The bottle is brown to protect the oil from light

A little goes a long way as with all oil products (except if you are me apparently, coating myself in oil...) EDIT 1,5 months later: I used 3/4 of the bottle in about 3 months. So I think 30 ml lasts about 4 months, even if you go a little crazy because of winter dryness and other skin catastrophes. With normal use (like a drop or two in day) you can pretty much double the time.

Can't detect any smell

Good introductory product to oils

+ When I did after cleansing TO Niacinamide + TO Squalane + Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer (lol) + Etude House Sunscreen + Lumene CC Cream + CC Powder, I didn't notice any pilling or blotchiness with my makeup during the whole day, 10 hrs, which is impressive, also skin looked bright and natural all day

Can be used during the day or night, mixed with a lot of other stuff

I'm not sure, but I think after starting with this oil, my cystic acne (yes I overexfoliated and got cystic bumps on my chin) surfaced more and is going away faster?

Makes my face feel a lot softer, did I say that already?



* Woah, first oil cleansing, then straight up putting oil on MY face? What is this universe, who am I? All my life, avoiding oil, cursing my oily combo skin (but hey it's not oily anymore, I'm getting old, hurray?)

The Ordinary's website says that unlike other plant oils, squalane is completely non-greasy and I agree, I don't feel that it's greasy even though I put it a lot on my face, but it is still an oil and has oily feel and stays on face like oil, just a warning

I do like how oils feel... I had a moment of love when I tried Tonymoly's BCDation Multi Use Sun Oil SPF 50+ PA++++ but it gave me bumps after a while, I gave it away and I still sometimes think that maybe if I had tried it one more time and it would've been okay after all...

I'm very excited to see how the longtime use of squalane affects my skin, now it's been only two weeks and I did start using it during the worst possible time (a little overexfoliation, some cystic acne, period) and I'm positively surprised so far!

I also bought The Ordinary's Rose Hip Seed Oil and I'm excited to try it too at some point. I'm obviously going through all TO products because finally I can test my skin sensitivities and reactions with products that I can afford! No guilty feelings if I have to toss them.



As you can see, squalane is more runny/watery than rose hip oil and completely clear.


Price: 

7,20 € / 30 ml

Bought from: 

The Ordinary website

Buy again? 

Maybe-yes. Depends if I like rose hip seed oil or some other oil better in the future but even if I do I wouldn't mind having a back up of squalane too! EDIT 1,5 months later: I actually repurchased squalane already. I had about 1/4 left in the first bottle and gave it to my sister.

Worth the money? 

Yes! I don't know why it works and for what kind of skin, but my normal combination (winter dry) skin has really enjoyed it. Worth trying if you've wanted to explore oils. Very inexpensive, hydrating, versatile.

1 comment: