Saturday, August 10, 2019

Maybelline Blushed Nudes Palette Review / Swatches / Thoughts




I guess this doesn't count much as a review but my own thoughts about the colors and how I feel about them. I am currently re-inventing myself and my colors and I want to make sure I make good new purchases so that I actually will wear the new makeup I get. Of course it doesn't mean I can't have fun with colors but I think it's important to find the tones that can't go wrong. As I age, as I dye my hair different shades etc I notice that the same colors don't suit me anymore that used to about 10 years ago!

Anyway, I got this palette maybe... 5 years ago? Not very long after Maybelline released it. I remember thinking "This is absolutely perfect. I will not need any other palette." So actually this palette is the only one I currently own! But I don't want to make hasty decisions now so haven't bought more. I didn't really wear makeup for a long time and even this palette still almost looks untouched. I am currently browsing a lot of eye shadow palettes and trying to figure out what I actually want! Also trying to find a perfect eye primer for oily eyelids.

As for the quality of Blushed Nudes palette, I don't have anything to compare it to right now or the experience to say whether the shades are chalky or creamy or if they are pigmented enough.


But other thoughts:


+  I do have to say I like the double ended brush that comes with the palette! A bit small, but soft and picks a good amount of product.

+  The palette is also a good size, not too heavy, fits well in a makeup purse, also not too big pans.

+  Looks pretty and elegant, feels sturdy, you can see all the shades without the need to open the lid.

+  The shades are exactly what they promise, blushed nudes. Pink and brown. Nothing weird or difficult.


-  As for the shades, I think there could be a bit more versatility? I am not feeling the lighter shades for some reason (they are so cool?) and only a couple of the brown shades make me excited.

-  Finishes all look almost the same to me. I personally would like to have more something completely different as well.

-  The shadows barely stay an hour or two on my oily eyelids without a primer. I would think there is something about the formula of the eye shadows that some stay better than some and it's not all to blame my oiliness (even though maybe 90% it is)? Even with primer they stay without bad creasing/significant fading for 3-6 hours maybe. Depends on the primer though.

-  Even though I don't mind the pigment, still I have to come back several times to pick more product for some shades. I do get to the end results I want by layering but it is a bit time consuming. But again, I think it's beginner friendly.


Price: 

About 15 €

Worth the money?

I think Blushed Nudes is overall a good affordable palette, I am just not really feeling it anymore. Maybe I did not feel it to begin with considering I used it very little. It might take me a while to really know what I like. I am going to use this palette, at least finish the couple shades I find comfortable. It's good to have something to practise with!

Ingredients:

Talc, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, CI 77713/Magnesium Carbonate, Magnesium Myristate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Caprylic /Capric Triglyceride, Nylon-12, Aluminum, Starch Octenylsuccinate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Dehydroacetic Acid, Octadecene, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Aqua, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Triolein, Tin Oxide, Stearic Acid, Maltodextrin, Palmitic Acid, LAuric Acid, . [+/- May contain: Mica, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/Iron Oxides, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 75470 / Carmine].


Swatches

Shadows are swatched dry, without any primers. Photographed outside obviously because nothing was showing up in inside photos.

Outside light but no sun:



When the sun came out:



I have gone through all the shades and analysed how I feel. I thought the light colors were a bit difficult to get to show. My skin is neutral warm yellow brownish (possibly some olive hue or just otherwise difficult undertone? But everyone seems to say they are olive nowadays so I'm confused) and light-medium, maybe NC20-25 (I have never been matched and I can look both pale and tan depending on lighting and clothes). My eyes are quite neutral blue, like deep cerulean.

I describe the colors as I see them, I might update some musings:





1. Ivory. Also one of the colors that was most used. Basic. Looks pinkish in the picture, I don't know why. Did I accidentally mix the colors? Good for inner corners of eyes but not feeling it as a base because it's so light.

2. Rose Goldish/Rosé Wine. I like this one, good base. Natural brightening, neutral. Very easy to use and is ok on it's own as well.

3. Champagne. Neutral, inner corner shade. If used fully on lid looks very silvery and makes me look at the same time green and orange and dull. How is that possible? In the arm picture looks again too pink.

4. Powder Pink. Not really feeling this shade, looks quite cool pink on me. But I'm not a huge fan of pink eyeshadow at the moment anyway so my taste affects my opinion, probably.

5. Mauve. Not feeling this shade either. My eyes look bruised, sunken and tired. Also makes my skin look even more yellow in comparison. Straight out violet on me.

6. Warm Brown. Actually very pretty brown shade. Don't understand why I have barely touched it.




7. Warm Bronze Brown. Looks very good on me! Natural and brightening. One of my favorites of the shades.

8. Dark Brown. Looks very cool tone on me, even if I don't put on many layers. Kinda harsh.

9. Neutral Brown. One of the colors most used in the past.

10.  Greyish Black Brown. Ok, am I losing my mind? It looks warm in this arm swatch. But on my eyes, it looks hilariously cool. Like a zombie. I am thinking I don't know how to use darker shades properly.

11. Dark Rose Gold. Such a beautiful, radiating shade on my arm, but looks somewhat violet near my eyes! Must try more looks.

12. Cool Black Brown. Again, not really feeling this one.





No comments:

Post a Comment