Friday, September 1, 2017

Konjac Sponges Review / Comparisons


Thoughts:


You have to keep the sponge in a dry place and not touch it with dirty hands

I feel like no matter how I try to handle it well it will grow bacteria immediately I have gotten it wet for the first time... I hope it's just my paranoia!

I'm not sure if it properly dries between the times I've used it (if you use it everyday, it won't)

- I don't want to travel with it because it will not dry in humid places, I'm afraid it collects dirt, it has to be in a minigrip bag while travelling to new places and then it just stays wet for even longer periods of time!

- I read somewhere that cheap sponges, or any sponges for that matter, can be fakes that are not actually konjac plant and can include fake color to make it better looking.

Sometimes it's annoying to wait until the sponge gets wet and soft enough to use. EDIT: This seemed to be problem only with my first sponges, the ones I've bought later on do not take that long.

After the first weeks of use the sponge is not so soft anymore. EDIT: Yes, this is still true, but some sponges just get radically less soft and some only little.

Some articles say that konjac sponge can clean make up etc without any cleanser used at all (not before, after, during) and that's just bs!



Very, very gentle.

I used to use face scrubs (Neutrogena) before but after buying my first konjac sponge I just didn't have a need for them anymore.

+ You can control how hard you push the sponge or where you want to use it.

Leaves skin so soft!

Lasts 3 months if used almost every day (after that it started to give me pimples but I believe now it's because I didn't boil or otherwise sanitize it often enough)

I don't use konjac sponge everyday anymore because I have found acids, but still I feel I have to use it at least 1-2 times a week to make my skin stay happy, so I think physical exfoliating is important too.

Using konjac sponge in the evening made a huge difference to my skin in the beginning, it was so much clearer (well... still is but it has become the new normal for me)



* This is a little different review as I just have bought random konjac sponges! EDIT: Will add some notes about the sponges I've used.  After a while and using several of them, I finally start to notice that they can have surprising differences and I also have my own preferences. I still love konjac sponges and notice a difference if I use it or not. It is such an amazing easy fix to go towards better skin (for me).

I think it's better to get rid of the sponge after 2,5 months of daily/almost daily use, just to be sure, or use it for the body. EDIT: Some sponges seem to last very well despite boiling and active use, I've used Etude House Natural Konjac Face Cleansing Puff for 4 months I think! They will not disintegrate, they just are not as soft or pleasant to use or start to smell faster after boiling. I still have a bunch of old konjacs I use for my body... they just are not willing to die. Really makes me wonder what kind of sponges I am purchasing, are they not konjac plant at all?

Using konjac sponge in sauna just makes the most perfect, soft, clean, glowing skin!

* Boiling the sponge to sanitize it is recommended, I have done it not so often and only for a couple of minutes as I'm afraid the sponge will disintegrate. EDIT: The konjacs seem to be fine even if left boiling for 10-15 minutes (oops). They will not break down, they just take very long to dry after the operation and are maybe a bit harder and difficult to wet for the first use.

I don't use konjac sponge with any cleanser, just on its own after them.



Price: 

5-10 €

Bought from: 

Supermarket, cruise ship, online...

Buy again? 

Yes!

Worth the money? 

Definitely, considering how long you can use the sponge if you take care of it. After you've decided it's not soft/good enough for face anymore, you can use it for your body.



Active Line Beauty Cleansing Konjac Sponge Bamboo Charcoal





Size comparison between the bamboo charcoal sponge and some no-name one from supermarket.

Active Line Beauty's sponge was dry in the package, well-protected with plastic and cardboard.

I really enjoyed using this sponge: good size, very soft in the beginning. I would buy it again if I ever see it somewhere. Cost me 5 €.

Lasted maybe 3 months, got noticeably harder towards the end, wouldn't get properly wet anymore.

The small white konjac sponge in the last picture I used prior to bamboo charcoal one. It was some supermarket find that was more expensive (7-10 €?), smaller and also got harder faster. I think it was ok (as in it works), I used it for 2-3 months, would not repurchase. It was one of those I had to keep in water for a longer time until it was wet enough to be used.



Etude House My Beauty Tool Natural Konjac Face Cleansing Puff





Etude House's Konjac Puff comes in plastic, already wet. I don't know why they do this, seems to be a thing with Korean sponges. As if I don't have time to put a sponge in a water bowl or what? Does it keep it fresh? What is the moisture, does it have some preservatives? I try to rinse it extremely well before I use it. It's nice of them to include the directions in English too even though it's not really rocket science how to use a sponge.

EH's sponge is good size. And very, very soft. After the first week or two it loses some of the extra softness but is still soft. And stays soft for months. I've used a sponge for 4 months and it's still usable! But it has lost the jellyness and will probably soon be too hard.

I think EH's sponge is also quite light, porous, jelly-like. Pleasant to use. Would repurchase. Costs only about 3 USD!



Missha Natural Soft Jelly Cleansing Puff White Clay




Missha's White Clay Cleansing Puff also comes in plastic, already wet. I think the packaging is cool and neutral! Even though I myself like princess style packaging as well. I think the 10% means the white clay content? Would be nice to have some text in English.

The sponge seems weirdly stiff, dense even straight out of the package. Especially compared to Etude House one. It is still soft, but not the same way. I do have to say I prefer EH. Maybe it's because of the clay? I've used the sponge only for a week now so can't say if the clay helps anything.

Size is ok. Costs about 4,50 USD. I don't think I will repurchase in the future.


1 comment: