Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Tea Tree Oil Review

Ingredients:

Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil.

I try to mark the sunscreen ingredients in red and other possible irritants in lilac. Ingredients thought to be good and useful for skin I mark green.  Learning as I go, google is my friend etc...


Thoughts:

If you slather pure tea tree oil on a clean skin, it burns. Literally. Just do not do that. If you must dab the oil on your skin, do it as a last thing after all the other stuff so that there's some barrier at least.

Be careful how you dilute the tea tree oil and how you apply it. Stay away from eyes and other sensitive areas, also broken skin. It burns.

Tea tree oil has a very distinctive smell and it's not all that pleasant. It lingers, a lot.

- Tea tree oil can be drying.

- Some people are allergic to it or otherwise sensitive. Even a small amount is enough to cause a reaction.

It is very annoying extra work to keep diluting the oil.




The bottle lasts for a very long time because you need so little. It's best to buy only the small bottles.

Tea tree oil seems to be very stable even though it's said that opened one should be replaced every 6 months.

Absorbs quickly, very light on skin.

Anti bacterial, anti fungal. Effective for many types of acne.

Works fast, results within days, usually overnight.

Personally, tea tree oil has never felt too drying on me. Many other treatments have felt worse actually.




* Tea tree oil, our lord and savior, how is it possible I haven't written a huge fan letter to it yet? When nothing else seems to work, tea tree is the hero. Ok, maybe not for everyone as it can be very sensitizing and drying. I do like tea tree and find it effective. Maybe I really have had fungal acne on top of bacterial for a while, if for years tea tree oil has felt like only solution when I get flare ups.

I have been using tea tree oil diluted with squalane for a long while, before discovering squalane I used whatever, a toner, a cream... But I am a bad girl and sometimes I do dab pure tea tree oil on my pimples when I have tried everything and they persist for weeks. Must admit it has worked great and I've had no reactions. However diluting with a carrier oil is the best way to go I've noticed. Usually I do 4-5 drops of squalane with a drop or two with tea tree oil. I don't actually know if it is too much. 

I've noticed that products not containing very much tea tree oil or containing the tea tree extract, are also showing positive results in an upkeep of skin, but when the acne strikes, I must hit it with the real deal. I did like LJH's Tea Tree Essence actually. Too bad it got reformulated. I actually would like to find a nice hydrating tea tree toner without alcohol.

I don't use tea tree oil daily or even weekly, only as needed. Sometimes it's needed twice a day for a week, sometimes only once here and there.

I have The Body Shop's Tea Tree Oil bottles as well, but I wouldn't recommend them really (got them as gifts). The solutions are already diluted, but the dilution is with water and alcohol mostly. They do work, but at the same time are not as effective as pure tea tree oil with squalane and they do dry out my skin quite badly.




Price: 

Varies. For example 7 € / 10 ml, 18 € / 30 ml at a local pharmacy

Bought from: 

Several places, natural food/health stores, pharmacies...

Buy again? 

Yes.

Worth the money? 

I definitely think so, the oil lasts a long time because you need so little. Tea tree oil also battles many different kinds of acne, bacterial and fungal. If you know how to use tea tree oil and you're not reacting to it, it's amazing value. Not the most pleasant to use though. For more sensitive skin I think a tea tree extract, that is not so concentrated, probably works as well. Just make sure to avoid the dilutions with alcohol, they are the worst for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment